A ship’s figurehead—a rampant eagle with wings outstretched—looms over this tavern’s door and casts its shadow into the muddy street. Flecked with peeling, weather-worn paint the once-proud eagle has seen better days. In many ways, it reflects the faded fortunes of the Bloody Eagle’s owner, Fruen the Unlucky (CN female half-orc fighter 2/thief 3).
Once a wealthy merchant widely suspected of being a smuggler, Fruen has fallen on hard times. Both her ships lie wrecked beneath Hard Bay’s storm-tossed waves and she is all but bankrupt. All that remains of her fortune is the figurehead that gives the tavern its name and the tavern itself (which she purchased with the last of her dwindling wealth).
In truth, Fruen is not as poor as she makes out. Her business had become deeply in debt to the Shadow Mask. Hiding her wealth on an isolated island far out in Hard Bay she wrecked her vessels and hoped the Shadow Masks would forget about her. Sadly, they did not and have forced her to run the Bloody Eagle—one of their many fronts in the Shambles—to pay off her debt.
- Watery ale (flagon) 4 cp
- Ale (flagon) 6 cp
- Wine (flagon) 2 sp
- Cabbage soup with bacon and bread 1 sp
- Pork and leek pie with fried parsnips 3 sp
- Bed in a shared room of four 5 sp
All the staff of the Bloody Eagle are in the Shadow Mask’s pay.
- Fruen the Unlucky (CN female half-orc fighter 2/rogue 3) Still clad in faded finery, the dark-haired, muscular Fruen casts a dejected figure as she serves her customers. Although once wealthy, Fruen was a child of the streets and has many friends among the seedy clientele frequenting the Bloody Eagle. She dreams of the time when her service with the Shadow Masks is complete and she can (secretly) reclaim her lost treasures.
- Indyere Shortstep (NE male halfling rogue 2) Mean, vicious and moody, Indyere desperately wants to become an enforcer for the Shadow Masks and be feared throughout the underworld. Forced to work here, his plan is not going well and he is frustrated. He thinks adventurers are idiots for going anywhere near Gloamhold and steals from them whenever possible. He’s also not above a little bit of “light murder”, if he can get away with it.
Many of the regulars at the Bloody Eagle are members of, or affiliated with, the Shadow Masks. They include Cyanae Kaniateir (NE male elf rogue 2/wizard 1), Neega (NE half-orc female fighter 1), Usko “the Sly” (NE male human rogue 1) and Varma Vuolle (CE female human rogue 3).
Languard is the capital city of Ashlar and closest settlement of note to Gloamhold’sbenighted halls. This is a first look at the location, which will appear in its final form in Town Backdrop: Languard which will be published by Raging Swan Press in early 2018.
For more Languard, check out the city’s main page!