So named for its proximity to the Low City and—not ironically—its elevation, Low Gate is the least, but widest, of Languard’s gates. The rich and the powerful must have a spectacularly good reason to pass through this battered, traffic-choked portal which his wide enough to fit two carts abreast.
Through Low Gate flows much of the traffic going to and from the docks via Cross Street, itself one of Languard’s busiest—and for the unwary most dangerous— thoroughfares. Here the danger of being crushed below the wheels of a carelessly driven wagon are greater than anywhere else in the city.
Given this, Low Gate is heavily garrisoned, but the sad truth is that many of those on duty here are easily bribed, in the employ of the Shadow Masks or even fully-fledged members of the thieves’ guild.
Hundreds of people pass through Low Gate as they go about their daily business. However, a few folk regular encountered here are notable:
- Teuvo Aalto (N male human fighter 2/thief 1) Part of Low Gate’s night watch, Teuvo is easily bribable to look the other way as long as no law (beyond toll or tax evasion) is involved. He is not a huge fan of authority, but still believes society requires laws to function. He uses his bribes to support the operation of a small orphanage tucked away deep in the Shambles.
- Pia (CN female half-elf thief 1) One of the waifs and strays hanging around Low Gate in hopes of casual work Pia stands out from her fellows by dint of her heritage. With the ability to see in the dark far better than any human, she often secures work as a night-watchmen for merchants forced to store their goods in one of the nearby warehouses that rent space by the day. Essentially honest, she is, however, easily distracted.
- Elina Keto, Sergeant-at-Arms (LN female human fighter 3) Elina has chambers in Low Gate itself and oversees the day garrison. Frustrated by the rampant toll evasion she is certain goes on at the gate, she is often exhausted as she insists on watching over as many transactions as possible. Several of her subordinates hate her—their extra take-home pay suffers from her vigilance—and they plot against her.
- The party approach the Low Gate laden down with loot after a successful adventure. A guard unsubtly offers to look the other way and not investigate their goods too carefully.
- As above, but if they pay a bribe Elina Keto pounces and arrests both the party and the guard.
Languard is the capital city of Ashlar and closest settlement of note to Gloamhold’s benighted halls. This is a first look at the location, which will appear in its final form in Town Backdrop: Languard which will be published by Raging Swan Press in early 2018.
For more Languard, check out the city’s main page!