An essential part of any adventure or location supplement is its map. It doesn’t matter how carefully the designer’s crafts the text, if the map is crap.
Luckily, a crap map is something City Backdrop: Languard will not be forced to endure! A couple of weeks ago, Tommi Salama turned over a gorgeous city map for the project. I’m particularly lucky to have Tommi onboard with the project because he is patient with my questions and comments and doesn’t mind my many minor revisions. He is also—obviously—an epic-level mapper.
Anyway, I thought you might like to see the map ahead of the project’s release at the end of February. Behold Languard in all its glory!
A Note About the Key
I’ve designed the location keys to be easily expandable in the future so I can easily add more locations. Thus:
- F: A location in the Fishshambles.
- G: One of Languard’s gate.
- H: A location in High City.
- L: A location in Low City.
- S: A location in the Shambles.
- T: One of Languard’s temples.
- W: A location in the Wrecks.
Low City Locations
- G1 Low Gate: Low Gate is always busy, choked with a multitude of carts piled high with trade goods.
- G3 Traitor’s Gate: “Decorated” with the remains of traitors to the crown, Traitor’s Gate is well named.
- L1 Low Market: A bustling market fills this muddy space.
- L2 Vonya’s Span: Of dwarven craft—and reputedly haunted—Vonya’s Span is the only bridge spanning the Svart.
- L3 The Scythe: The one-legged Arvo Outila runs this drinking den renown for live music.
- T1 Fane of the Waves Eternal: Here Serat’s worshippers commune with the ocean’s eternal glory.
- F1 The House of Sighs: Seeking shelter in this almshouse is little better than living on the streets.
- F2 The Drunken Sailor: A popular dockside tavern.
- S1 Raisa’s Curios: Idle adventurers often come here to browse the eclectic range of goods on offer.
- S2 The Bloody Eagle: A seemingly destitute merchants runs this tavern, which is a Shadow Mask front.
- W1 Duranki’s: The Duranki family will ferry (unwary, too-trusting) adventurers to Gloamhold, for a fee.
- W2 The Fallen Maid: Here dwells one of Ashlar’s pre-eminent assassins.
High City Locations
- G2 River Gate: These two towers oversee all river traffic.
- G4 Duke’s Gate: The least-used of Languard’s gates. Only those travelling northwards use this gate.
- H1 Castle Languard: Family Nenonen’s seat.
- H2 High Market: Those with a taste for the finer things in life come to High Market.
- H3 Urmas’ House: The aged sage Urmas—one of Ashlar’s greatest authorities on Gloamhold—dwells here.
- H4 The Dreaming Spires: Ashlar’s centre of learning, the library here is only matched by that held at the Black Tower.
- T2 The Father’s Hall: A cathedral dedicated to Conn’s worship and the centre of his faith in Ashlar.
- T3 The Great Forge: A clamour of noise and smoke perpetually rises above Abarin’s temple-forge.
- T4 Watcher’s Spire: Darlen’s followers dwell in this fortified temple.