Do you remember your first time? I certainly remember mine. It was like nothing I’d ever done before…and it had funny dice!
I’d just turned ten-years-old and my older American cousin had come across the Atlantic for a holiday. He found a copy of the Basic Dungeons & Dragons boxed set in my father’s study and said he’d run me and my sister through an adventure. I remember being intrigued because he said he’d have to design the board first – I’d never heard of that in a game before!
We made characters. I went for a fighter and my sister played a magic-user. I don’t remember all the ensuing events, but a few things have stayed with me ever since:
- We played in my grandparent’s cellar. (Interestingly enough, although I’ve moved around the country a lot in the intervening years the cellar is under two miles from Raging Swan Press’s global HQ).
- My character was called Morgan Ironwolf (that was the name of the example character in the Basic box). I rolled a 16 Strength and 3 Charisma. I’ve still got various versions of the character sheet somewhere.
- We had to rescue prisoners from the Black Prince’s lair. The lair was (obviously) a dungeon. Luckily it fit on one sheet of A4 graph paper.
- We didn’t use any miniatures – hell, we didn’t have any!
- When we got to his dungeon, we knocked on the front door and a butler answered. We bluffed our way inside and once he had turned his back on us, I whacked him with my two-handed sword! Even then I had a subtle grasp of tactics…
- The Black Prince’s personal chamber had many rugs on the floor. I suspected a trap and I was right. The fiend had use them to cover spiked pits!
- The Black Prince cut my sister’s head off at the adventure’s climax. I beat a hasty (and wise) retreat. My characters have been wisely using tactical movement ever since…
- The next day I rushed out and purchased the 1st Edition Player’s Handbook. After all, it was clearly better because it was advanced and I’d already survived my first dungeon!
Do you remember your first game? How did you get started with gaming? Let us know in the comments below!