You don’t have to be hoary to use this highfalutin vocabulary…
Last week, I tackled the “G” words. This week, we hurl ourselves in the H’s!:
- Ha-Ha a sunken trench or ditch not visible until one steps into it
- Halcyon peaceful, gentle and calm
- Harbinger a person or thing that announces or indicates the approach of something
- Hardhewer a stonemason
- Harridan a scolding old woman
- Haucepy a trap for wild animals, especially wolves
- Hautain proud, arrogant
- Henchperson close and trusty follower
- Heptarchy government by seven rulers
- Heterarchy government by strangers of foreigners
- Highfalutin high-flown, pretentious (of language)
- Hircine goatish, lewd
- Hirsute covered with hair; plant covered with long but not stiff hairs; animal having long, thick or untrimmed hair
- Hoary having grey or white hair; white or whitish-grey in colour; ancient or venerable.
- Hoddypeak a simpleton, fool or blockhead
- Hoodpick a miser or skinflint
- Horripilation a technical term for goose flesh (the bumpy condition of the flesh induced by cold, fear etc.)
More Cool Words?
Do you know other cool, but odd, words beginning with the letter “H”? If you do, share them in the comments below and add to your fellow gamers’ vocabulary!