Heroes of the gaming world, GM are worldbuilders and story sharers. Being a GM is an incredibly positive, rewarding experience. If you’ve ever thought about GMing, here are six great reasons why you should give it a go.
For most of my gaming career, I’ve been the GM. To begin with, I was the GM because I was the only one with the books. That’s not the greatest reason in the world to spend countless hours pouring over adventures and campaign worlds. In my mind, there are six (much better) basic reason to give GMing a go. In no particular order, they are:
- To Give Back: It’s great to just turn up and play. As a player, you only need to make a character and you are good to go. Most GM’s would love to play more. I myself fall into this category. (I mention this just in case any of my players are reading). Giving your GM a break and letting him play for a while is a tremendous way of saying thank you for all the great adventures he’s run you through. It’s also a great way to forestall GM burn out and the death spiral of a once fun campaign.
- To Create: A GM’s lot is a creative one. Sure, as a player you design your character. As the GM, you can design the entire world! If you’ve got the creative itch, taking a turn at GMing it is a great way to scratch it.
- To Shape a Story: A GM leads his group through his world. A GM doesn’t tell a story – unless he railroads his players – but he does shape the campaign story. If you’ve got a story to share, GMing is a great way to share it with your friends.
- To Enjoy It: GMing is tremendously enjoyable, but I grant you it can be a daunting proposition. I’ve talked before about tips for beginning GMs, but remember that doing anything for the first time can be daunting. Relax and have a go. Your friends will thank you for it.
- To Develop Skills: GMing requires many skills. You’ve got to proactive and organised among many other skills and characteristics. If you want to work on one or more of these skills, GMing is a great way of doing it while having fun.
- To Make New Friends: GMs are welcome in any gaming club or community. If you are moving to a new area, offering to run a game is a great way to meet new people and get invited to other games. The same is true if you aren’t moving; offer to run a game and they will come.
Remember, without GMs we wouldn’t have a hobby. Personally, for me now, if I wasn’t a GM I wouldn’t have been able to introduce my sons to gaming. We’ve had tremendous fun thus far, and I hope it’s an activity we do together for many years to come. That’s so worth the time invested!
Help Your Fellow Gamers
Can you think of any other reasons to give GMing a go? If you can why not lets know what they are in the comments and help other players take the plunge today!